FOR THE MEATBALLS:
1 lbs organic ground turkey
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 sweet onion finely diced
½ cup spinach, finely chopped
½ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
3 garlic clove minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
Sea Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp of avocado or olive oil
FOR THE PESTO:
¼ cup of olive oil
2 cups of packed fresh basil
¼ cup of nutritional yeast
1 cup of cashews, roasted
½ of a lemon juiced
¼ tsp of sea salt
1) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and line one small and one large baking pan with parchment paper.
2) On the small pan, evenly spread out the cashews and season with sea salt, garlic powder and ground pepper. Place in the oven and roast for about 8 minutes (or until golden brown). Once done, set aside to cool.
3) Place a large sauté pan over medium and heat the oil. Add onion, carrot, pepper, spinach, basil and garlic. Season with sea salt and pepper and cook until fragrant. Place in a large bowl and let cool for about 5 minutes.
4) Whisk the egg in a separate bowl and set aside.
5) Add the turkey meat to the veggie mixture. Add the egg and remaining spices and mix together until it is really combined.
6) Spray the parchment paper, on the large baking pan, with olive or avocado oil and form into small size meatballs (I love using a tablespoon ice cream scooper! Like this one) Make sure they DO NOT touch!
7) Place in the oven and bake for around 30-35 minutes, or until the top of the meatballs start to brown.
8) While the meatballs are baking, make the pesto! Put all ingredients into the food processor and pulse until at desired consistency.
9) Once meatballs are done, take them out and put them into a medium mixing bowl. Pour pesto over and carefully mix until all covered.
10) Serve over a plate of yummy zoodles or grain free pasta (I love Cappello’s!)